Thread: Cooling Fan
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I did the Taurus/Lincoln upgrade that Undy mentioned.

I was having problems with the supplied cooling fan blowing fuses in my wiring harness. Decided rather than keep putting that stress on the main harness i would go ahead and upgrade the fan and the wiring.

This setup has 3 different input options for triggering the low and high speed settings. Temp sensor in the intake will trigger the low speed, turning on the A/C will trigger the high speed and I have a manual switch on the dash to trigger the high speed.

This sucker moves some serious air. I went on run through the local mountains last weekend and after about a 7 mile, uphill, set of twisties and driving hard it sat at 195 the whole time.

The wiring harness is available for with and without A/C.. I got the basic with A/C option. it was $79
It's available from The Hollister Road Company and is designed specifically for this swap. http://www.hollisterroad.com/proddet...?prod=MarkVIII

For the fan upgrade I got some info from the Hollister site and a few others and settled on one that is from the mid 90's Cougar and Lincoln. Dorman part# 620118 It's a Dorman OE replacement part for $89 at www.rockauto.com The motorcraft version of the same part is over $300.

Install was pretty straight forward but the fan was taller than the radiator by about 1 1/2 inches. Width was perfect I trimmed the stock mounting tabs off the fan shroud and added some 1 1/2" aluminum angle to the flanges on the radiator so the shroud slides right over the top of them. Then drilled through the shroud and angle and added captive nuts and bolted the shroud down.

There was some clearance issues around the fan motor but nothing major. Just needed a bit of trimming.

Here's pic of it installed.

Last edited by xlr8or; 08-11-2010 at 07:02 AM..