View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

The whole license fee is a bit of a furfey. Gav and I bought HP Tuners and the regular versions work on buying credits to be able to tune each ECU. EFI Live has a licence per ECU system wich is about $100 per go (You can check all this on their web pages) This system is aimed at hobbyist like us that want to tune one or two cars here and there.

There is a Commercial version that the tuners should/usually buy. It's a bit more expensive but it does away with the whole license /credit thing and they can tune as many ECUs as they like. So if they are charging you a license fee it's something they've made up to justify the cost of buying the original software.

That being said, If the tuner has started out with the basic version of the software like Gav and me and then bought licenses each time they tuned, well it gets to a point where the software writers (HP and EFI live) usually will give them credits for all those license purchases towards upgrading to the commercial version.

I wired mine up myself and while there were a few tricks and traps it wasn't that hard. But I'm experience in wiring and electronics with my work. To many it's a bit of a black art.

My mail order tune was done by Bobby Brown in Perth. He did a fantastic job and is a real nice guy too. He's sorted out several of they guy's Gen3s on here.

Cheers