View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 557
Not Ranked     

I made my own out of an old piece of 1/8" aluminum that was a bottom cover protector from a dirt bike.

I made a form by using a jig saw to cut a circular hole in a piece of 1 1/2" by 10" board, then used a router with a bullnose bit to route the shape of a flange in the wood. Then I cut a hole in the aluminum that was about an inch smaller in diameter than the hole in the wood. I clamped the outside edge of the aluminum to the outer edge of the wood, then heated the aluminum around the air horn flange with a plumbers "map" (not propane) torch, and slowly beat the aluminum into the shape of the flange routed into the wood. I used the back of a hatchet to hit the aluminum to ensure I had a convex shape and avoid creasing or flattening the aluminum. I used a spray bottle to water down the wood so it would catch on fire.

Then, I used a belt sander to flatten the bottom of the air horn in the aluminum to ensure a tight fit around the top of carb. It looks pretty crude but it works fine.

I use a K&N X top filter and had to trim about 1/8" off the passenger side of the opening through the hood to allow the hood to close over the filter.