View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Significantly? Oh come on. The why are they all mounted high on new or newer cars? If it's too low, then who can see as well as one near the top of the trunk line. Drivers can be morons, did the research include morons? Seriously, who will notice those 6 little tiny holes? If you do it, then cut out a nice rectangular swath and install something really big.
Significantly? Absolutely. The original tests were performed on fleet taxi cabs in New York and used both high mounted center lights and other, lower, third lights. The result was a reduction of rear enders by over a third. BUT, the statistical reductions consistently declined after the adoption of the regulations requiring the third lights! It has now dropped to under five percent reduction. How could this be? The answer is that the original reduction was not caused by the location of the light itself, but rather by the novelty. The fact that there was an unusual third light is what caused the significant decline. After people became used to seeing a third light in the back window it lost a large amount of its effectiveness. Having an unusual third light is now more effective than a CHMSL.

Trust me, I'm absolutely right on this.