View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
Bingo Dugly! I actually ordered #3510 (2") and #2640 (2-1/4"). Your pic in the previous post is right on what I'm trying to do! Still pursuing a flat or slightly lowered base. And, yes, I understand that I can only go as low as the top of the carb, or close anyways.....
Shows that great minds think alike, Michael!

I am currently using the flat base that came with a rather inexpensive aftermarket filter....I trimmed down the circular flange so that the underside of the base just barely clears some "bumps" on the side of the Edelbrock carb I am using, but it sure looks to me like the air coming in from the sides needs to make an immediate 90* turn to get into the carb. I'm hoping that the air coming in the X-Stream Filter top will provide some direct in pressure and help with that transition, but with only about 1/8" to 1/4" between the X-Stream Filter top and the underside of the hood scoop, I'm not really sure that there is much air coming in through the top filter.

One thing of which I am sure, though, is that with the 9" X 2 3/4" K&N filter and the X-Stream Filter top, I'm waaaay ahead of the 9" X 1" paper filter that came with the car. I'd still like to be albe to use that nicely raised and radiused base that came with the X-Stream Filter assembly, though.

One thing to watch for.....the #E-3530 filter that came with your X-Stream Filter Charger assembly has an ID of 8" and an OD of 9", but the #E-3510 filter that you'll be replacing it with has the same OD, but an ID of 7.5".....I'm not sure if there will be any interference with the X-Stream Filter top or not, when you get the replacement filters would you mind posting on this thread to let us know if the greater "thickness" of the K&N filter posed any problems (K&N makes 2" tall 9" OD filters in 7", 7.125", 7.5", and 8" ID's)? I'd appreciate it!

Glad this worked out for you!

Cheers from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!

Last edited by YerDugliness; 08-20-2010 at 02:03 PM..