View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know that mentioned gentlemen have an excellent reputation, but I already gathered all the parts over the last months.
I bought only brand name parts from well known companies however (Comp Cams and Lunati), so I hope to be on the safe side.

The springs recommended by Comp are 132lbs seated. I know these are a bit on the soft side for the camshaft, but heavier springs also tend to cause problems like collapsing the lifters and raised stress levels for all valve train parts. If the solution was that simple, the stiffest spring available would just be used for every application.

One thing I don't understand is why so called "rev kits" aren't used more widely on these engines. These very simple and cheap devices place springs on the lifters, effectively eliminating the inertia caused by the lifter's weight.

People spend lots of money for titanium retainers, beehive springs and ultra-light rockers in order to lighten the valve train. The use of a rev kit to cancel out the lifters weight seems uncommon however. Some are available for Chevys, however I only found one for Fords made by Price Motorsports, and this one is available only for 9.5" deck height blocks.

For hydraulic roller cams with link bar retrofit lifters such a kit would be very beneficial, as these lifters are really heavy.

Maybe I'll fab up my own rev kit, I'll do some calculations for the springs required for my lifter's weights.

Last edited by CobraV8; 04-09-2024 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: sp