View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, Jag chassis, Holden HSV 5ltr engine, 5 speed Getrag box.
Not Ranked     
Default Springs & shocks.

Tony,

My RMC weighted in at 600kg front & 560kg rear, totalling 1160kg .
I have just been through what you are going through now.
I wanted a cruiser, not a racing car, so I wanted a soft ride for an oldish bum.
I started with some std s/h shocks on the front with approx 460lb springs.
On the rear I splashed out for new springs with GAZZ adjustable shocks on the rear.

This front setup was too low for licensing, so I had to insert 15mm spacers under the springs to jack up the front so I had at least 100mm clearance under the lowest part of the car. ( got 105mm at the frame under the engine./gearbox )

However, this was too rigid for what I wanted, as I could feel every bump and uneven surface on the road, but I left it at it was for licensing.

Then after licensing, I started to mess around, and bought another set of 4 s/h rear std Jag shocks/springs from the local Jag dealer for $100 the lot.

I decided to put the std Jag setup (4 x std springs/shocks) on the rear, as that is what it was originally designed for, and mounted them on the inboard mountings that are 15deg from vertical.

This sat the rear a bit too low for what I wanted, so I repositioned them all to the outboard mountings which are set at 9 deg. Height is now perfect.

Now to the front.

Took the GAZZ adjustables and mated them up with the 460lb springs without the spacers. Front mounting angle is 28 deg.

After a couple of adjustments on the height, ending at spring height setting @ 210mm, its now perfect, and the rebound setting is 6 clicks in from 0, and the rebound is also perfect.

The ride is now soft and doesnt shake the car like the harder ride did, and I can easily stiffen up the front if I want to by simply adjusting the rebound rate on the little adjuster knob.

Details of what I have fitted now, is below, and its perfect for what I wanted.

Pls take no notice of the colours, they just happen to be what colours I painted them when I cleaned them up, as the springs and rear shocks are all s/hand .

STD JAGUAR COILOVERS SPRINGS. (RED COLOURED)

MOUNTED ON REAR WITH STD JAG SHOCKS.

Free Length 270 mm
Inside dia 75 mm
Outside dia. 98 mm
Weight 230 lb ???
Wire size 11.5mm
Active coils 6.25
Loaded height. 210mm

Inboard locator position = 15 deg.
Outboard locator position = 9 deg

ORIGINAL FRONT SPRINGS (BLACK COLOURED)

MOUNTED ON FRONT WITH NEW GAZZ ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS.

Free Length 270 mm
Inside dia 80 mm
Outside dia. 108 mm
Weight 460 Lb ???
Wire size 14 mm
Active coils 6.25
Loaded height. 175 / 190 without 15mm spacer.

Angle of coilover assembly = 28 deg.

Spring height setting 210mm
Number of clicks set for rebound rate = 6
regards,

Graham.