View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cankaw View Post
Do you ever get to the cruise at Rideau Carleton on Wednesdays? I live in the westend (Kanata) so that and the Hazeldean cruise are my main venues.
Actually I don't usually "do" that many shows and I prefer to take part in smaller events with lots of fellow car guys who "get it" when it comes to how they treat other people's cars. And I coach my daughter's soccer team on Tue+Thu, so I never make the Hazeldean show. Mostly I like to just drive my Cobra, and my comings and goings are pretty spontaneous, depending on the weather. One of my sisters lives in Kanata and I sometimes get out there with "the beast." But this Friday's forecast is sunny and Kemptville isn't far from Kanata if you wanna take a nice drive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cankaw View Post
I am thinking an older ERA or Contemporary might be my best bets, any thoughts?
I suppose this really depends on whether you want to build a Cobra, or just want to buy one resale.

If you want to build a Cobra, I think your best bet (for Canada) is a Factory Five. The reason I say that is because they've already sorted out how to import their starter kits with Transport Canada's blessing, and there's a large group of FFR builders in town and online to support you. And the new FFR MkIV looks pretty nice, more accurate and nicer panel fit. But I kinda assume from the way you posed the question that this isn't what you're thinking; please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're thinking about importing a Cobra replica from the U.S. because of the strong CAD, then your best choices would probably include ERAs, Contemporary Classics, Unique Motorcars, and Arntz/Butlers. If you go this route, the car must have been originally completed and registered at least 15 years ago, and you'll need paperwork to prove its age. This is MUCH HARDER to find than it sounds. I had chased down many nice cars in the U.S. and very few sellers could produce the right paperwork for customs purposes.

If you're looking at resale Cobras in Canada, then your best choice is probably a Superformance. They were sold here from 2001 to 2006 and, while rare, are available here in greater numbers than ERAs and Contemporary Classics and so on. Come see my car and I can show you what makes these cars so good.

You should also make sure you understand kit car registration and insurance in Ontario. For the most part home-built Cobra kits are uninsurable except through Facility Association, but professionally built Cobras like SPFs are eligible for collector car insurance. Come see my car and I can tell you more.

There are a number of different Cobra replicas on the roads here in Ottawa -- SPF, FFR, Pigeon Performance, Classic II, and ACR -- and you might want to check out as many different makes as you can. I've met most of these guys by now.

Ahh yes, you should also be sure to have a reasonable budget. Not just to buy a car, but also to operate and insure it. Otherwise your fun could be shortlived.

Last edited by SunDude; 08-24-2010 at 04:48 AM..