View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen_cobra View Post
I am running 10-40 now. Just to be sure I stated the problem correctly, it is not that the oil pressure drops as the engine/oil get hot, but the idle and 2500rpm pressures have dropped by ~10-15 lbs in 2000 easy miles. I have never (until now) cut open an oil filter so are a few metal flakes acceptable?
My current plan is to drop the pan, check a main and a rod bearing, replace the oil pump and go from there.
Thanks for the inputs
JOe
I think your current plans are your best bet right now....There is a reason for the drop in oil pressure and I'm guessing it's a bearing/bearings that have wear in them....Things happen for no good reason, you can have an engine with the best parts built by the best engine builder and still sometimes $hit happens....

By the amount of "stuff" you've seen in the filter, I think you have a problem with a bearing or bearings....just my guess......

Even on my daily driver,I like to let the engine run at idle at least 1 to 2 minutes on cold start-up in the morning before heading out to work.... On my street car (65 Mustang) I'll let it idle till the oil temp gets to around 140 before taking off......On my race car (road racer), I don't get on the track till the oil temp is at at least 180.....

Not saying you've done this, but I've seen way too many folks get in their high performance car and start it up cold and begin revving it up to show people just how bad the motor is, that's about the worse thing you can do to an engine.......

David