View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     

This is not an uncommon story, it is uncommon that someone admits to it or is in good enough condition to use their computer to type anything. I heard of this happening too many times, people crashing into a tree and the driver is fatally wounded. It feels like I have heard this a 100 times, which in all honesty is probably more like 2 or 3 times.

My procedure is as follows, which I do not practice religously.

When I get home from a drive a pull the hood pins, lift up the hood and look for leaks and steering movement. I have anti-sabotage markings on my steering joints, steering lock-nuts and upper contol-arm bolts and adjustable nuts. It takes a few seconds to look at it like this with a flash light. I wait for the car to cool off then cover it.

I repeat this procedure (or try to) each time I drive it. How many control arm stories and steering joint stories have you heard? How many end with a reasonably happy ending like this?

There is no half-a$$ing steering and suspension components, lock-tight, nylock nuts, torque, great hardware and good manuafcturing has to be invested in and even then, mistakes happen. There is a LOT of vibration in these cars, which is why they need constant inspection.

I am glad the driver is all right and they are good enough to put this thread on this web forum. This thread has the potential of saving lives - not the typical BS that just catches our interest.

Indeed, how many will check our steering tonight? (and our suspension).