View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I responded to Dan's post on the other forum for those who follow along on both. If indeed the cam is the culprit - and it sure is looking that way - this will be the FIRST flat tappet failure I have had on an engine I broke in on the dyno. I guess it had to happen eventually given everybody else's experiences over the past several years. I'd wager I have installed more FE flat tappets in the past year than most guys will in two lifetimes...

The break in procedure was meticulous, and I expect no problems in dealing with Comp. They have always been a very good company to work with for me. That said, the warrantee is my concern - not theirs - nor Dan's. Its gonna be a PITA to pull that engine out, but I'll take care of it from there. **** happens.

Changing cam brands will make absolutely no difference in regards to hardness issues. Every single cam grinder purchases their semi-finished blanks from one of two Michigan based companies - either Camshaft Machine or Engine Power Components. Those two companies purchase all of their castings from CWC-Textron in Muskegon Michigan - and they are flame hardened on rollers prior to delivery. In simple terms - they all come from the SAME PLACE.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP

Last edited by Barry_R; 09-04-2010 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: just cool to see how quickly the editing software fixes my swear words...:)