Thread: Overheating!!
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 09:39 AM
I feel the need for speed
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Overheating

First, thanks for all the advice. This one of the things I really like about this forum is that there are so many with experience on such things. While I have been working on cars for many years, it is good to get feedback and new ideas.

To add a little more detail, my Cobra will get up to 180 deg within a couple of minutes of starting. The fuel/air ratio is 13.7 at idle (14.7 would be stoicimetric), so it does run a bit rich. In fact, even cruisin down the road I smell overrich fumes (not to mention that my clothes smell like unburned gas when I stop).

My engine is a 460 that was punched out to a 522 with TWM stacks and a FAST ECU controlling everything. As far as running, it is a beast! Seems to have incredible response and more than enough grunt in all 5 gears.

Regarding overheating, it will go up to 225+ shortly after I get on the road and will vary between 200 and 240. If I come to a stop with it idling (after running hard) the temp will drop very quickly to 190-200. As I said before, the fans come on at 195. If I cruise about 35 down the street, it will go down to 200 and mostly stay there. If I hit it hard off the line, it will jump to 200-230 and then come down when I stop again.

I think that getting a coolant bleed valve will be the first step and then I will pressure test the system (thanks Hersh). I will run it several times and bleed, burp and refill (thanks Tom).

I don't think I need to change the fan settings. Most BB motors like mine generally run at 190+ (even my Jeep GC runs typically at 190+)

Thanks again to everyone. I will post on this after I try some fixes. In the meanwhile, I still appreciate any ideas.

Cheers,

Mike