View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     

Rick Lake;

Names Allen. Thanks for all of the posts and comments. I know about leads, electrical, amperage and size of wire; which makes it all more than embarrassing that I would get caught up in this regarding my electrical system. Although I have worked on cars before the Cobra, they were mainly stock hotrods, replace a part with the same part and you are pretty much good to go.

In the early build days of the Cobra, over 5 years ago, I made a lot of mistakes by listening to people and trusting vendors/manufacturers. Taking their word for their instructions, be mechanical or otherwise. I have replaced a ton of parts that were not good for my application, or were cool, but unreliable. I read something, I did it, and later on I found out that really was not the way to do it - or was just flat out lied to. Some of this is inexperience building a performance vehicle, some of this is just impatience. When I build my next car, I will save thousands of dollars in redoing.

Any how, it looks as though from all calculations I need a new alternator of at least 100amps, which I have to save for. If I am careful, and do not do too much, I can use the 75amp until I get a new one as long as I control excessive electronics. I have a new battery, of course you read that post. And I just figured out why my gauge fuse was blowing within my gauge circuit - bad tachometer (MSD ignition is fine). I will send it in to Autometer to get rebuilt. All other gauges and steering harness is good to go...thank goodness.

I do not have any protection between the alternator and battery now, which of course as you bring it up is completely obvious as to why you need it. If something would happen to the Alternator, bam, could blow the battery. And of course there is the size of the wire which is also completely obvious and needs to be upgraded when the alternator gets upgraded.

While I am re-looking at everything, I will clean my 3 ground connections, inspect the wires and upgrade to better thermal protection on some wires in the engine bay. I am also thinking about rerouting my wires in the engine bay to a new more protective, attractive location.

Thanks for the feedback...