Thread: Overheating!!
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     

OK the info you provide here if accurate is important. you stated:

Regarding overheating, it will go up to 225+ shortly after I get on the road and will vary between 200 and 240. If I come to a stop with it idling (after running hard) the temp will drop very quickly to 190-200. As I said before, the fans come on at 195. If I cruise about 35 down the street, it will go down to 200 and mostly stay there. If I hit it hard off the line, it will jump to 200-230 and then come down when I stop again.

I would first install another gauge and sender (mechanical one is cheap and quick) to verify it behaves the same way and that you dont have a fault with gauge, sender or the wiring. The fact that your temp drops when your engine speed and road speed (less air flow) drops is opposite as to what should happen (until the fans kick-on).
If the new gauge confirms temps are still erratic, air in the system is likely for this fluctuation. I sent you the changes I made to my WCC 460 system to make it easier for air to exit during system fill. The changes I made eliminates the "ritualistic and repeated burping" you will need to do over and over as others have experienced.

BTW assuming the fans are wired correctly to pull, is your alternator and wiring for your new twin fans up to the task ? you did not share any info on this. Twin fans will use alot of current. Make sure they are operating with the required current to get the proper cfms. You will need dedicated heavy duty relays to run the fans when the FAST system triggers these relays.