View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 10:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
It's for an Arntz. Knowing that there's such a long delay in the availability of the IFS has it's good and bad points. Good in that the car will be in front of me to measure everything to know for sure if the wider assembly will fit with the existing wheel backspace, etc
Bad in that it'll cost a ridiculous amount in shipping to Australia on it's own. It would have cost me nothing to include it in a container with the car...
I've read on this forum that a lot of guys in OZ buy stuff here and have it shipped for less money that the retail price there. I don't know what your dollar is doing right now to run the numbers, but I'd guess you've lost your peak buying opportunity right now.

You would also want it shipped dismantled I would think, to keep the crate size down, or shipped in seperate cardboard boxes. Assembling it is pretty straight forward.

Fitting will be piece of cake too if you are just handling the crossmember while installing it. Then bolt the rest of the components on. I did mine install single handed as a complete unit. I have a car lift which helps and I used a transmission jack the can lift up to about 6' high to get it up.

I made an accurate template of the IFS with 3/16" plywood held it in place against the Butler frame which showed the slight mismatch of the 4 bolt holes. Some tracing paper/vellum also helped to make a full size tracing to assist with the measuring to elongate the holes.

Good luck,
Arthur

Are you running the stock MGB steering column?