View Single Post
Old 01-12-2002, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As a followup to this original post, I purchased a McLeod 11" clutch for my C but I'm disappointed in the quality of the pressure plate (PN 360850). I have the 164 tooth flywheel with the standard 5/16" pressure plate bolts and the McLeod pressure plate comes drilled with a combination of 3 holes that are 120 degrees apart that are 5/16" ID and the second set of three holes are clearance for 3/8" bolts. So I've effectively reduced the shear area of the pressure plate bolts by 1/2, which really bothers me. Has anyone else had this problem?

George at Weber (McLeod) said this is how they mount and they haven't had any problems with it. Looking at it makes me feel like I spent a lot of coin for a part that doesn't fit half as well as the stock setup. Is the CF pressure plate this way as well, or does it have the proper 6 5/16" ID holes in the pressure plate?

Also, I've read several posts of the 'old' cobraforum that the clutch disk which ships with the CF DFII setup doesn't last very long--often less than 7k miles. Have any of you had problems like this and if so, what did you do? I've read two people had good luck with the CF DFII pressure plate and the stock Ford disk. But now I'm really confused about which way I should go. I want a clutch that will hold the torque of my 351C but with low pedal pressure for my father who has a weak leg. Should I return to the stock long style clutch? Everything I've read says the diaphram clutches have less pedal effort than the long style but also that they require a spherical TO brg, which no one seems to sell anymore (they are all flat now, which is meant for the long style clutches).

Fun, fun, fun

Thanks for any further input on this matter...

Mike