View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C Cobra, 521 CU BBF, Holley ProJection, T56 Magnum, 3.5:1 TruTrac 9-inch
Not Ranked     
Default Holley Projection & MSD 6AL & MSD Distributor

Hi folks, here is a question - wonder if anyone has solved this.

I am using the Holley 950 Fuel Injection.
I have a MSD "self contained" distributor, with a three wire connector. The three wires are power, ground, and "trigger"
I have a MSD 6AL spark box as well.

Now, the trigger signal from the MSD distributor normally wants to go right to the 6AL. THe Holley 950 also has a wire (tan/black?) that is the spark trigger input. Tying these three wires together gets me spark at the plugs and spark input to the 950 so it runs the fuel/etc/etc.

Problem with this, I want to have the 950 run the timing advance curve....
On the 950 wiring harness (lets assume GM HEI mode) - there is a input for "spark in" (i think its called PIP on GM-HEI). There is a signal called SPOUT (spark out) as well. If I connect the distributor trigger to the "spark in" on the 950 and then the SPOUT (spark out) of the 950 to the 6AL, I do not get the appropriate triggering on the 6AL.

I looked at the signal timing using an oscilloscope and it seems that the SPOUT of the 950 is active for much much longer than the trigger input signal from the distributor. For example, if the trigger input is active for maybe 100uS, the SPOUT of the 950 is active for 3-4mS. So I am getting spark, but long trigger pulse from the 950 effectively keeps spark running into the next firing sequence - and we dont really start up.

I am wondering if anyone has used their 950 to run the timing advance, with a 6AL box and a MSD distributor?

I have a way to make this system work....but before I do this, I wanted to see if there was an off-the-shelf solution.

Thanks