View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Excellent feedback. A couple years ago I noticed in our frigid Texas winters (LOL) I could not get my coolant temp past 70C and it would take forever to warm up!!!!! Ambient was 55F!!! What I determined was a 180F thermostat was installed. After testing in a pot of water I realized the thermostat did not open until 180F but would not CLOSE until 170F and would alway bypass some. The coolant system is so efficient on a SPF any coolant circulation kept the engine temp under control.

I changed to an el cheapo 195F with hole drilled in the top. Now my temp gets to 95CF thermostat opens and settles around 80C, warms up much quicker. Even in our scorcher summers (not laughing this time) my temp stays at 90C and rarely the fans kick on.

On a side note the smith gauges are very very accurate for mechanical gauges. Both oil and temp were within 1 degree F against calibrated gauges. The oil pressure gauge was off 3 psig. I have not checked the amp, my speedo is dead on at 60mph but about 3mph off at 30.