Thread: Clevor motor
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyBob View Post
I think the Cleveland heads would be to much head for a Windsor base motor....
Au, contraire`!

The Clevor is ALIVE.....take a look at the entries in the Popular Hot Rod Engine Master series lately (the last 5 years or so) and see who won...almost all Clevors. The last time I checked, though, a Ford 400M was the winner...and we all thought they were only good for boat anchors!

The Cleveland block has some oiling issues.....although some are creating new blocks with priority oiling.

The Windsor block already has priority oiling.

In a recent thread, a comment was made that it was possible that Chi was no longer producing their 3V heads....not sure if that is right or not, but AFD makes some VERY good heads with both 2V and 4V sized ports. The 2V port size heads are capable of 600 HP out of the box with no bowl job, no porting, just bolt on and go.

http://www.ausfordparts.com/afd2v.html

For a long time the problem was finding the right intake manifold. A company by the name of B&A produced both a single plane (Track Boss) and double pland (Street Boss) version, but they seem to have gone out of business, so those parts are difficult to find. However, Edelbrock has stepped up and makes a Clevor intake now, although I would like to see them offer a single plane product instead of just the double plane:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...rpm-351c.shtml

I am a huge fan of the Clevor.....the canted valve design unshrouds the valve as it opens, improving intake charge and extending the torque range further down in the RPM band....and at the same time the valve sizes offered on the current Cleveland heads can support high RPMs. Sort of win-win, IMHO!

It IS an unusual combination, most people don't want to deal with the issues involved (special pistons, push rods, machine work to the intake face of the head to provide for coolant flow, etc), but IMHO it would make the IDEAL Ford 5.0 based engine for my Cobra.....someday!

Cheers from Dugly

[EDIT--just now realized this post is in the Australian Cobra Club forum.....OOPS. Believe me, we Cleveland/Clevor fans here in the U.S. really envy y'all. We had the Cleveland for 3 years, you had it for SO many more. LUCKY YOU!! Your aftermarket offerings for the Cleveland headed products are SO much more extensive, too....Cheers to Australia! Dugly]

No names were changed to protect the innocent!

Last edited by YerDugliness; 10-26-2010 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: just realized this was the ACC board....they have forgotten more about the cleveland/clevor than we'll ever know in the U.S.!