View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 AC Aces, 1 w/289, 1 w/TBD
Not Ranked     

Wardl,
Until this thread I had thought the original Cobra scattershields were made in the 63-64 time frame and they included 5 and 6 bolt versions for early and late 289s. They were scattershields (not just bellhousings) and carried the NHRA designation on the side of the housing just behind the starter housing. They carry a Ford P/N, C5DA-6592-A, and have "Wedge" in the casting which may be the manufacturer. They are not built to be lightweight and tip the scales at about 60lbs. There was at least 1 run of repops somewhere along the line for the 6 bolt version (maybe a couple of runs), but I do not think the 5 bolt version has ever been redone. In case you have a 5 bolt version laying around, there are some original cobra owners who have offered a couple of thousand for one. Another interesting feature of the 6 bolt versions is the dual pattern transmission mount. They would accept either the early narrow pattern toploader or the later wide pattern and you can see this in the pic you posted. If you want any detailed pics I can pull one out that I have (not sure if it is original or a repop) and send or post them.
Jay

Edit: I added a couple of pics of my scattershield to my gallery.

Last edited by 289ACE; 10-29-2010 at 07:23 AM..