View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Fuel Cell Bulkhead Connector Leaks - Whats the best way to seal ?

OK attached here is a pic of my soap test for my newly assembled fuel cell. Once pressurized to about 3/4 psi, I am having small leaks at the bulkhead fittings in my aluminum fill plate (no matter how tight). I am testing both copper washers and stat-o-seal washers at the moment. I am not satisfied with either yet, but AL STAT-O-SEALS seem a bit better.

I wanted to avoid using Nylon washers due to their short term life expectancy, (seem to be most popular in the aftermarket however). The leak is occuring at the I.D. of the washers, coming through the threaded portion of the fittings (these are Aeroquip plated steel not aluminum bulkhead connectors). I guess getting alum. bungs welded is one option, but I thought this set-up with washers should work since its common practice.

What have you all learned with dealing with these bulkhead connectors, and the best way for a life long seal ???? I'm a fill-plate, fuel cell rookie !

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by kitcarbp; 10-29-2010 at 01:24 PM..