View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

There are a few Kirkhams in Australia that got through and registered on a loop hole.
From what I know that hole has been closed.
As for buildng and complying one in Australia, I am not saying it could not be done (because anything can be at a cost) but it may be a costly exercise.
The difficult part would be in prioving the chassis is complaint (require torsional and beaming test) and if you go with the Kirham suspension parts (and why would you not) is that these I think would need to be tested for strength and no doubt other tests (since they are custome made and not from a compiant vehicle)
And you would need to run a modern engine or LPG.
Another option I had briefly looked at was the possaility of mating a Kirkham alloy body to an Australian supplied (allready complied) chassis.
In my case I looked at buying a chassis from Classic Revival (Ian was willing to supply a bare chassis with all suspension mounting points fitted) Kirkham do sell bare bodies, and you would need to make a birdcage frame to join the 2 together.
In this case again you would need to run a modern engine.
A 3rd option may be to find a registered car that has been in an accident (complied chassis and vin number allready there) and retro fit the Kirkham body, if you looked for an older build car you should be able to find a small block carbie fed complied vehicle.

In any case not a cheap exercise.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.