View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Hi Gents,

I've been going through the research process of investigating a Kirkham into Aus.

Unfortunately, neither of their current frame designs are compliant in their current forms.
In correspondence with Kirkham, they have rated their frame at about 2500Nm per degree, which is well short of our legal requirement.

I'd guess this is were RMC in Perth seem to have hit a bit of a brick wall.
(Along with complying a reflective shinny skinned car due to the non-compliance with ADRs... but that's another story.)

This alone is not a deal breaker for the Kirkham kit in Aus as you can obviously make modifications to improve the strength. The problem is shipping a car to Aus. Then removing the Body to make the mods, only to have to put it back, is not possible without big Dollars. This is especially as the body is not removable from a Kirkham without cutting it!
This cost looks like it will blow it out of the water for me.

However in true Kirkham fashion "ie: always willing to help" David Kirkham has advised me that the boys are looking into seeing what can be done to strengthen the frame to meet ADRs.

If this were done at the Kirkham end before the body was fitted, most all else I guess could be negotiated through... without much more trouble than a regular kit I'd guess. Other than the point of getting a reflective shinny skinned car through ADRs...

If anyone knows anything further I'd love to know about it.

Kind regards,
Anth