View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A couple of thoughts; This isn't about SPF nearly as much at it is about their new product, the GS. The various comments here are valid in that regard, some like this, or that, or want it different in some way, but I just don't see that as tieing back to SPF at this point. The same discussion and reasoning would apply to ANYBODY doing this project.

But let's look at the SPF, GM, Duntov "gene" and "pedigree" issue that gives it "credibility" train of thought.

I don't see where the new REPLICA GS has any more pedigree back to GM than an FFR has pedigree back to Ford. In all cases, SPF, Shelby, Kirkham, FFR, ERA, they all have one thing in common, they are REPLICAS. As was noted in the recent law suit Shelby vs FFR in the Judges written opinion. He stated; Essentially there is no difference between a Shelby and an FFR in that they are both replicas. The new GS is a replica as well. It's not made by GM in a GM plant by GM engineers, it's a licensed product, like an SPF Cobra is a licensed product. Like any other endorsed/licensed product, tooth paste, guitars, perfume, motorcycles, the list in endless. To some that endorsement/license deal carries significant weight. Others could care less, it's still a replica...

In this case, and others, SPF likes the idea of a licensed product for the "credibility" it might bring to a product. Licensing, "it's way they roll", it's a valid game plan that targets a specific segment of the market. If it add's value for YOU, that's great, your in that targeted segment. If you see a connection back to Duntov, terrific! It doesn't add value to ME and I don't see that connection. I see a product, now strip away the hype, the marketing, the license. Is it STILL a good product? Anything after that is gravy!

SPF makes a nice product, I suspect the new GS will be on par with the company standards, a well built replica.

Last edited by Excaliber; 11-18-2010 at 07:11 PM..