View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #539/427 Holman Moody #7HM20 from 1967
Not Ranked     

I feel your pain on the loud exhaust, I am in Europe and have the older style ERA/ Stainless Steel Specialtes sidepipes. I wear ear plugs. Folks cannot believe my car has not been towed, I hurt my ears after 60 mph. I do not believe I am losing any power. They must sound just like they did in 1965. I do not know how Ken Miles and the other men did it.

OK, here is my idea, nothing revoutionary, but I have not seen it integrated on the Cobras. The Harley guys are doing it using electrically operated butterfly baffles. There is a company in the Netherlands called Jekyl and Hyde that make pipes for all the Harleys even the Vrods. They sound full and throaty on or off. I have looked and the Partriot Exhaust butterfly controlled baffles am working it in my mind to adapt/ cut/ weld/ fit/ reweld/ polish/ to my pipes. I intend this winter to have the best of both quiet around town and open on the Bahn as I do not want I set a bad example. However, the 427 NASCAR style howl at 3000 and up is just too good to lose. Plus many of the Germans grin and get it. I have seen old ladies smile. I had to pack 15 steel wool pads in each pipe held in with the dyna Teck cones (covered in the earler threads) to pass but they blew out.