View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     

Boxhead said ...."the lower square section looks like it is butted up against the chassis rail (not a very strong way to weld parts together)"

I don't think that's a huge issue. It is there as a tie rail. Even if it is 3" x 1 1/2" RHS thats still a fair run of weld. Combined with the nice looking flat plate uprights and the CHS tie bars I feel that it is quite a sturdy looking bit of gear. I just can't see how the front 2 bolts on the diff will be utilised? Simple pipe spacer on flat plate or a top cradle part we cant see.

Anyhoo, I've also looked at them on fleabay and thought the price is right. It would be a smart thing to see one in the flesh if you wanted to commit. As for business related problems, I can't comment, never dealt with the guy, bad spelling repeatedly worries me, moreso when it's an advert to parade ones products, but some people are great craftsmen not oxford scholars, in saying that, if I was in that position I would get someone else to type up the sales literature.

I'd also like to see some more pictures of the package and hear from anyone who is building one. Always good to compare different makes and pick up good ideas and learn from bad ones.

In hindsight, my choice of kit probably wasn't the smartest buy, but knowing that I have a supportive engineer with total faith it will cross the line gives me an extra feeling of satisfaction in doing everything the wrong/ dumb/ hard way and ending up with "MY" car which is totally different from everyone elses.