View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default It's internal and there are a couple of other things

mjhcobra MJ google PAperformance or M.A.D. alts.. They both set kits for running higher amp Alts. Here's the problem, If you are running an amp meter in the dash, a 70 amp alt is the max output that is save to run. You should convert from an amp meter to a volt meter. The insolators melt and getting hit with high charging loads. I have gone from a 70 amp setup to 100 with the PA kit. You also need a heavy charging cable from Alt output to battery terminal. They have a kit with a maxie fuse in 125,150,175, or 200 amps This will protect the wiring harness from a short on the pos side. SW has a volt gauge I am using. the only thing I don't like is it's colored. Smith gauges may sell a orginial looking voltage gauge. When you replace the amp gauge just connect the to cables togeather and add a wire for the voltage gauge (pos side) add a ground wire and you are set. PA sells a voltage regulator that connects to where the old one was to keep the orignial look. I am not sure what it does except turn on the regulator inside the Alt. I am running, 2 fuel pumps, 3 coolant fans, ECU, 3 blower fans, and MSD ignition system. At idle the 70 amp alt output is only about 35-38 amps and kills the battery over time. There are some other threads here about charging problems and meters for measuring volts or amps. Rick L.