Old 12-07-2010, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
We certainly don't recommend an 11" clutch. You'll burn it up almost immediately. If you want a steel flywheel (no way on earth I'd use a cast iron flywheel), I'll post another one on the Attic sale in a bit--if I can find one

David
David, I hate to disagree, but I've used 11" clutches for years on high horsepower big blocks, FE's, small blocks, you name it. Also, most aftermarket FE/385 series flywheels are only drilled for an 11" Long pattern so you don't have a choice.

There's absolutely no reason that you have to use an 11.5"/12" clutch, and there's no reason to give McLeod $350-400 for one of their flywheels so that you can do so.

The only way you'll burn one up is if you use a stock replacement disc behind a 450-500hp engine, or use a Centerforce....

I find that the biggest mistake made by dealers/installers is that they think they can get away with cheap clutch kits because Cobras are so light. A lot of my Club Cobra business comes from people needing to redo what the dealers did during the install. If you buy a kit to hold the horsepower, no matter 10.5", 11", or 11.5", you won't have any trouble with it.