View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom, BF XR8 260kw, 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZVENOM View Post
If you intend to buy a (kit ) loose word.
You may want to ask for a few things you will need to get it registered . Well in Queensland anyway other states vary on what is required.
1 Beam and torsion test.
2 Fiberglass test
3 Lane change test
4 Bump steer test.
5 Door intrusion bar specs.
6 Brake test.
7 Seat belt mounts approved .
8 Steering system approved. The list goes on.

Normally a Kit manufacturer will have approvals supplied by an engineer for their kits which copies are supplied when you buy a kit.
The Engineer does not accept its Ok mate.
The big question has already been asked how many are registered? If lots then you are generally can buy with knowledge that you can get yours registered.

I don't think anything could more heart breaking than spending hundreds or hours building a cobra and not being able to register it .
The first thing i would do is contact an approved engineer and talk to Him/Her about the kit and the requirements for building then registering the kit.
Ozvenom (no affiliation)
I have a Venom kit, and the first thing anyone buying ANY kit should ask all of these questions to the engineer you intend on utilising, plus a few more. Whilst other kits may be further up the road in regards to development and R+D, given the oddities of the Australian regulations and differences State to State, I would do this regardless of which kit i bought.

I have seen this kit pass the torsional and bending test, viewed the report, then ran a FEA on the chassis to confirm the results on a computer in CAD. I spoke to the Engineer about his opinion of the kit, as I was his customer and is indepentant the manufacturer, and he was happy.

I recommend looking into the ADR's and was told by my engineer that which ADR's were applicable, which documents that were required, and he was impressed that I walked in with the document that he used to sign off the car.

Those interested and playing at home VSB14 is the guide that the engineer uses, and details all the requirements.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa.../vsb_ncop.aspx

It even has the checklist he'll use to sign off.

I'm sure all of the people on this forum can attest to the traps of the ADR's whether its headlights not E stamped, to CAT's and emissions testing to torsional rigidity, seats, and from what my engineer said the next big one is steering wheel ADR application. My advice to them is ask the engineer, its his or her call, not a long winded post/s on a forum.

Nathan