View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     
Default The definitive "quick jack" orientation thread

Okay, I'm thoroughly confused.

After reviewing Rinsey Mill's "AC Cobra" book several times (the only Cobra book that I own at the moment....Yeah, Yeah, I know there are others that are better), as well as viewing countless images of other cars over the years, there are several quick jack/bumper jack orientations.

Many of the earlier cars that raced actually had them mounted in the reverse that you see today (i.e. back then the curve of the hook hugged the front lower valance more than it protruded from the front end). Maybe this was done for better leverage, or it was the intended use all along and someone later decided to flip them around and have them stick out (great for banging foreheads and shins, need I mention?), especially since they are largely ornamental and not functional on most replicas?

You also see mountings done differently, with "bolts out" on some and "bolts in" on others. Even Shelby's CSX4xxx, 6xxx and 7xxx cars will sometimes differ (I suppose depending on who put it together). And then look at all of the replicas out there and they are all over the map as well.

My own analysis supports the "bolts out" orientation, but I also find it interesting that even though the original race cars had them hugging the bodywork, you rarely (if ever) see this on street driven replicas today.

So, distinguised AC experts, tell me what is the right way. Actual measurements (dimensions) would also be appreciated (if available), as I know for fact that they are different from manufacturer to manufacturer (as much as 1" or more).

Thank you,
Steve the detail freak