View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Building the New 1/8th Scale TDR 427 Roadster Kit

Hello, I am kind of new here. I have posted up a few questions, over the past 6 or 8 months, while researching this model and have viewed a lot of the threads too. This forum has been a lot of help in my research in developing the computer model for my TDR 427 Roadster and this week I have started to actually build it. So I thought it only fitting to post up the build here on this forum.

I am one of 4 guys that have been trying to bring some high tech tools to the modeling community and increase the number of kits available in the large scale modeling world. This is our first full kit, up until now we have mostly been bringing new engines, suspensions, frames, and tires/wheels to the modelers, but now we are putting the final touches on our first kit.

This buildup is kind of a trial run, I will be seeing how things go together and how best to finish out the parts. This kit will be a combination of rapid prototyped parts, resin parts, fiberglass parts, and alluminum sheet metal parts.

We have been working on this kit for about 10 months now, and it is all about to come together!!

Well, I have blabbed enough for now. Let me see if I can post up some pictures of where I am at right now.

Here are some pictures of the computer model that is used to generate the rapid prototyped parts.

The frame is made to accept two 9/32 K&S brass rods. These rods are epoxied up and inserted into the frame. This assures that the frame stays straight and strong for many years to come.

The rapid prototyped frame is made of nylon powder that has been fused together with a laser. It results in a part that is very light, very very tough (you could bend the frame in half and it would not break!!), but it is also very pourous. These pours need to be filled to allow you to finish the part out to a smooth finish. Here I have applied two coats of something called Ceramicoat. It is used to fill the pours in ceramics, so I figured it might work on these rapid prototyped parts.