View Single Post
Old 12-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Just used my alignment tool yesterday, no bending of pins or bar required. Here area few steps I found out helped make it easier putting my older Trigo wheels on with original Chrome pins; I don't have the new black ones.

For remounting - I leave the pins loose (not all the way seated) when I put the alignment tool ring on. With a rubber mallet gently tap the alignment tool over the pins - leaving the tool towards the end of the pins; not all the way seated to start.

Once the alignment tool ring is on and over all of the pins, tighten down the pins in a star pattern until they are seated, but not torqued yet. I then tap the alignment tool ring on a bit further STILL keeping the ring to the outer end of the pins. If needed, remove the ring with a wide wooden block going around in a circle gently prying it off leaving no marks.

Before putting the wheel on, I then use a mild scuff pad with WD40 and clean the inside of the Trigo Wheel center and pin holes, and the hub center ring itself; just making sure there are no burrs or grime gumming things up. From there, I simply add a very mild amount of thin waterproof grease to each of the pins and the inside of the Trigo wheel center as mine fit snug as machined and I run the older pins which seem to be a tad tighter clearance.

Each of my wheels are marked (indexed) but I found out using this method, it does not much matter, they seem to go on much easier than dry, and it goes much faster following these steps vs. trying dry mount with no clean/grease prep. Worked for me, good luck.

Last edited by decooney; 12-25-2010 at 11:39 AM..