View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Thanks! I have asked several expert FE builders thus far and they are going to get back to me in the near future. I thought there might be a few resident experts on the forum as well and that is why i posted this question here in the FE section where they would most likely lurk.

Small block strokers and big block strokers are different animals. While i have built several small block engines, this is my first FE motor.

So, for those with 427 FE based strokers, what cam are you using and with what compression ratio?
Do you like it? Would you change anything about it?

My car will be used on the street. I am used to using cams in small blocks that have a durations of around 240 max with a 10:1 compression ratio, but for the most part i have used cams with duration in the 220s. I guess i dont fully understand why i can use a 218/218 duration cam in a 302 and turn 6,000 rpm all day long, yet according to what i am hearing, the same duration cam will go flat several thousand rpms before in a FE stroker. Ive used low duration cams in 427 chevrolets-222/226 and they turn all the way to 6500 with stock cast heads without issue.

This engine will have around 10.2:1-10.5:1 compression ratio. I spent a small fortune on the big bore aluminum shelby block and i purchased 72cc edelbrock aluminum heads to go with it. I will only use this car for street use but i still dont want to use a cam that will not pull hard off the line to 6,500rpm. I dont care about spinning the engine past 6500 and i could care less how fast the car is above about 70mph. Due to this being a 527 stroker motor, i dont see why there would be any issues with torque.
My last replica was around 2400 pds with a 331 stroker with 185cc AFR heads and a 228/236 duration camshaft on a 110 lobe seperation(330 at the rear wheels) I used a real dyno . The car was probably the scariest thing i have ever driven. I assume this engine will have around 150-200 more horsepower at the wheels and due to the weight of the car, most of it will not be useable.

Last edited by RestoCreations; 12-26-2010 at 04:35 PM..