Thread: Anaconda
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

It's been a while but looks very similar to the car I remember Merv. The car Connor built had live side pipes. I remember following him thru Kedron once on a wet day and it sounded very mean and attracted heaps of attention with steam coming off the pipes.

Remember in those days there were not a lot of Cobras around so the sight of one caused an almost instant traffic jam.

Connor drove around on trade plates for a long time as he couldn't register it with the pipes. The build standard allowed headers and cats on a carby engine so the live side pipes were a no no.

I suspect when he decided to go to the United Arab Emirates he prolly took the pipes off to register it. I know he was selling off all his assets to fund the project.

He actually did sell a car to some sheik who raced it over there and I think that's what gave him the idea to set up a business in the place.

What I do know is that they did sell a heap of kits in Queensland. Much more than the number of RMC's around would indicate. Although I must say that many RMC owners don't get too involved in the Cobra club for some reason.

In the very early days there was Rick Percival with his car, Bill Jorgenson from Mango Hill (he still has his), Glenn Stewart (he still has his) Frank Ashman came a littler later( he made many sets of side pipes), a fella from Wavell Heights (can't remember his name) with a Robnell, who used to hang out together a lot. They would display their cars at the car shows just for the heck of it. They could often often be seen parked side by side at lakeside.

When John Brown got the agency after Anaconda ceased to exist, he would rent isle space in the shopping centers to display the black demo car and promote sales of the kit.

Pity the guy couldn't keep his pecker in his pants as the cobra scene really started to boil after a couple of years, hence the manufacture of the DRB.