View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default CA: AB 2461 Changing and Extending Amnesity

In case you missed it, Assembly Bill 2461 (Emmerson) was passed. It was designed to clean up last years bill. In short it does the following:

1. Delay this bill's operative dates so that the amnesty program would be in effect from July 1, 2011 until June 30, 2012.

So amnesty is extended until June 30, 2012

2. Require a vehicle in the amnesty program to be certified as having met smog requirements.

The statute specifically states:

For purposes of this section, a certificate of compliance
shall be issued to a specially constructed vehicle that has applied
for amnesty if the vehicle has met the inspection and maintenance
tailpipe emissions requirements, as determined by the Bureau of
Automotive Repair, for the model year assigned under paragraph (2) of
subdivision (c). A specially constructed vehicle that has applied
for amnesty shall not be subject to the requirements of a visual
inspection.

My limited review suggest that you still need a SB 100 exemption or pass emissions based on the year of the amnesty application. Same rules as it has been except for #3

3. Exempt these vehicles from the visual inspection element of smog test requirements.

No visual inspection required.

Further information can be found www.sen.ca.gov by searching for AB2461

For those California residents that have improperly registered kit cars I strongly encourage you to take advange of this program.

For those others that are looking to buy a kit car in California, a reminder that a kit car or replica car can never possess registration reflecting the date that the vehicle replicates (AKA 1965). The vehicle was not in existence in 1965. These cars are to be registered as specially constructed vehicles and the year of the vehicle should reflect the year of the build. In California any registration that states otherwise should be fraudulent.