View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I would argue, with little to no legal background, that our cars were never built in 1965 and thus any registration showing the build and/or production date of 1965 is erroneous.
I agree with you 100%. All I'm saying is that some states receive paperwork and they see a 17 digit VIN and they process it per their own procedures because that is what they were taught to do. The owner pays his vehicle taxes, maybe goes through a vehicle inspection, and then gets his tags and is declared "legal" in the broader sense.

Now let's call a spade a spade, so we know that fraud has been committed. But the originating state errored in their due diligence (sub-standard procedures?) and allowed it to pass. Even if a more knowledgeable state is passed the bad registration, and they really, really suspect it, all they can do legally is contact the originating state and ask if it's valid. The person on the other end of the phone will look at their less-than-desirable database and nod yes.

That being said, the amnesty program in CA is an excellent way to "correct" your paperwork, as future intra-state (within CA) transfers will undoubtedly be red flagged as automated systems tag certain automotive profiles (i.e. '32 Fords are another one). There are more in circulation than good 'ol Henry ever produced!.