View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Jag center sections in original 289 type frames

I wanted to start a thread that maybe others would contribute to in their experiences of installing Jag center sections in original 289 type frames. (pictures please). When I originally started building my chasis, I read lots of older posts and came to the conclusion that I could mount a Jag center section in my chasis using mounting brackets from various venders. They failed to mention that the brackets most people were talking about only fit in a 427 chasis. I found this out when I called Kirkhams to check into buying brackets for the Jag center section I bought. They said sure they have the brackets, but it wouldn't do me any good because there isn't enough room for it to fit in a 289 chasis. So I immediately went back out to the shop put the center section up in the chasis and sure enough there is no room between the top of the center section and the chasis. I kind of thought it would be a fairly easy thing to make some brackets that would fit where the output shafts bolt in.
In 1985 CCX's thread 289 progress posts no. 122 and 127 are pictures of mounting brackets that Action Customs built. I was wondering if Nick could put some input here, because when I am looking at the 2 pictures there appears to be 2 different type side mounting brackets. I take it these brackets go on 2 different types of Jag center sections. There is a pair of square plates with 4 corner holes and a large center hole, what do they go to?
Here is a link to identify 2 different type Jag center sections. a Salsibary
and a Dana: http://www.coventrywest.com/Jaguar/t...pofmonth12.htm .
I know of several other Jag center sections, but I am not sure how many of them are used in these type cars. I will try to post a picture of my Jag center section and a cobra center section I got from Kirkham. Thanks Mark