View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Have you looked on the 460 forum

David S David there are alot of buildup of 429-460 motors in car mags like Hot-Rod, Car Craft, 4 wheeler, Master engine builder, and Ford legendary. Form what you are saying, a low rpm torque motor would be about right. Where the heads and the intake manifold ported? You can advance or retard the camshaft to move the power ranges around also. I would also ask you about the oiling system of the motor and oil pan. If the roads are short and alot of turns, the oiling of the motor is most important. 7-8 quart system, Large oil filter with high flow. HP1 comes to mind. If running an oil cooler in the front of the car #12 cooler lines with high flow connectors.
Are you looking for a nasty exhaust sound? Run a camshaft with an LSA of 110 or less. Your exhaust will be the BIG power killer of your car unless they are race pipes with no to little backpressure of the motor.
If you can find the SCJ 429 specs I think you will be happy with them. Side notes, I help with a SCJ car that had a 460 block and bottom end and a 429 heads and intake The max safe rpms where 6,500. We had rod problems over this. This was a stock bottom end with only ARP bolts and nuts. There is alot of weight flying around in the bottom end. Also watch the dampener, we had one come apart from racing. With a little head work and cleaning of ports we made over 420 HP and 480ft of torque. All the power is in the heads and intake. Ran a 780 Holley with dual feed and only single pump. The double pump had 50CC pump and the car bogged everytime they opened. We changed cam profiles, went to 30CC pumps and found that the single worked the best. There are some oiling modes you should look for. Some guys run a extra supply line in the lifter valley to the back of the motor for better oiling of rods #7 & #8. We broke #7 and it went through the side of the 429 CJ block and the crack, was not repairable. It did make a big splash off the bridge and scared the fisherman. I would tell you to go with the smalled camshaft, limit the rpm range, extend the life of the motor for many years and have limited maintaintance. 5,500 rpm chip in the MSD. This motor will smoke the rear tires off the car with little problem. Watch out if you are running rubber hoses in the car and have methonal in the gas. We have 15% and it is eating the rubber out of the cars here. Rick L. Ps you guys still repair some of the best piston motors in the world like Packards and Merlins, Now their is a noise I could live with. Pss don't mind Max, he's off his meds again