View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

I have had three radiators in my Arntz Cobra. It has the same frame and body as the Butler. The new one is a three pass aluminum racing radiator I found on eBay. I was able to squeeze a 24 inch wide by 19 inch high unit into the space available by pushing it up through the bottom of the car.

I used an expandable rubber plug in the radiator's cap opening because it fits tight up under the nose where you cannot reach a radiator cap. I used a 427 tank on the engine to fill the system. I made a screen with expanded metal from Home Depot that doubles as a radiator front support. I made brackets that are welded to the top of the screen and run across the top of the radiator and attach to the hood latch mounting brackets that are fiber-glassed to the underside of the nose (behind the radiator). I made an aluminum tray for the bottom that has a foam pad and is supported by steel straps that connect the fiberglass nose to the front crossmember and continue back under the radiator.

The old radiator was a Griffin, 22 inches wide and that one fit through the front opening. It lasted 15 years before developing a leak. In those days, the core was epoxied to the tank. The new ones are welded.

RS

Last edited by RallySnake; 02-03-2011 at 04:35 AM..