View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Er...me too. What a nice car Jeff. I've been following the build and picking up a lot of ideas. Really like the colour, and the black wheels.
Also the instrumentation...it looks great. I had been thinking of the 6 gauge setup from CSX2009, or the 2557/2558 setup like yours. Your pics have persuaded me! A question though for when I start on mine - can you see the oil temp and pressure gauges OK, or would moving them all slightly closer to the car centreline be beneficial?
Looking back, anything you would change that might help us 'pupils'?

Glen
Hi Glen-

I haven't even driven the car yet, so I can't comment on the gauge visibility question. I'll let you know in due course!

At this point I wouldn't change anything at all; I've already changed everything I was unhappy with!

For advice, just do your research, thoroughly. Don't be in a rush: have patience, you'll need lots of it. You'll learn a lot as you go along that you may want to incorporate. Also, there is a surprising amount of misinformation and folk-lore surrounding these cars, some of which I have discussed and debunked in this thread. Sometimes you'll just need to stick to your guns to get what you want.

There are certainly some things you could live without to save money: the oil cooler and Beaumont oil flow regulator are first on that list. Unless you plan to race it, you just might skip the oil cooler altogether. ERA makes a front-end without the oil cooler scoop, which Tim (tkb289) has on ERA 2136. Looks good!

Be sure the wheels are properly smoothed and finished before you paint them. Mine are Trigos and came out really nice.

Sit in a Kirkey before you buy one. I went down a size from my measurement.

I would definitely recommend my main vendors: ERA, Dan Dalena, Jim Inglese and Connecticut Custom. Each one has a deep passion for their work and is dedicated to pleasing the customer. That is very, very valuable.

Good luck with the build; I look forward to following your progress!

Jeff

Last edited by jeffy; 02-03-2011 at 04:01 PM..