View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As for the KB's, IF they are hyper's, I'm not a big fan of those, forged for me, or nothing. Anyway to tell for sure what they are? All though, the ring gap seems to have them pegged as hyper...

I'm running the stock 428 crank and Le Mans rods in my side oiler. 454 cubes or something like that it works out to. LOTS of torque! So far so good, the crank and rods have been through two rebuilds, about 30,000 HARD miles and hanging in there. Who knows how many miles they had on them before I got them?

The first engine build was solid roller cam (12.5 to 1 C.R.) and I spun it to 7,000. Bottom end was fine on the tear down. The MODERN solid roller cam is what gave out (so much for modern is better )! I went back to old school, flat tappet cam, which also lowered my max rpm, I'm OK with that.

I've seen new rods and cranks break, so there is no absolute gaurentee no matter what you do. I reckon new stuff is better, stronger, last longer, take's more punishment,,, I guess. But for me, the old stuff has been very darn dependable, and the price was right (I already had the parts).

If and when it blows something, maybe I'll consider giving modern parts another look,,, maybe, unless I stumble across some Le Man's rods at a nice price.