View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 07:04 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I have a small block so my problem was small compared to yours,

I had to work with the alignment on the rear end to get the car to pull straight. When I got on it hard the tail would drift to the ride side, maybe a foot but in the car it felt like 4 feet.

I had to install double adjustable shocks. Increase the passengers side and soften the driver side. With the driver's weight on the drivers side you would think it would give more traction to that wheel. Not so, the torque of the motor plants the passenger side wheel and lifts on the drivers side. I adjusted my shocks to even this out and now I pull straight with the tires smoking.

Dwight
4 link rear ends do that until they are adjusted. It would have been a lot easier and faster to adjust the preload on the right upper link.

1 "flat" of less preload might have been enough preload if the rear was going right. 1 flat more if going left.
1/2 to 1 flat at a time is all the adjustment you should do.

I've done this adjustment to several Lone Stars in the DFW area.Works every time no matter the shocks,drivers weight,etc..

Your right tire was biting more than your left causing it to go right.

The right rear tries to lift and the left rear tries to dive due to the rotational torque thru the driveshaft.

What you did with your shocks was lessen the load on the right,deceasing it's bite. The same as less preload on the upper right bar. It then evened out the bite and went straight.

Last edited by 392cobra; 02-13-2011 at 08:13 AM..