View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Joe, I thought you had the cammer sitting in your garage. Be that as it may, you do realize that your total all-in cost is going to be well north of $100k, right? And if you had to turn around and sell it tomorrow, you will be handicapped by the fact that your car has undergone "cammer" modifications as well? I have an idea what your car would then be worth, but frankly, I have more respect for RodKnock's assessment of the numbers -- and I'm sure he'll chime in with those shortly. Chances are his quotes will be pretty darn close to what you can realistically expect to get. If you're comfortable taking that kind of hit, then by all means build it your way. You only go around once in life, and if cammer in a painted Kirkham with a funky interior is what you want, then that's it. But be advised, it will cost you more than you think it will....
Just round ball park numbers, but a new 482 is about 20K +/- depending on who builds it and what extras you buy. The Cammer will be about $40K +/- and then you'll have to add the modfications to the car (e.g., footboxes, steering linkage, headers/exhaust, etc.). If someone else is doing the work, I would bet that you'll add another $5K-10K to the install the Cammer.

As a buyer, I would be willing to pay a premium for the SOHC engine in a Cobra, but would I be willing to pay a premium of $25-30K? Probably not.

I want a set of magnesium Halibrand wheels. Fran Kress will hopefully be making them soon and his price is $4,000 for a set. Trigos/Vintage wheels are about $1,500+/- (not exactly sure since my Kirkham came with them). If I sell my car someday, will a buyer pay me an extra $2,500 for magnesium wheels? Probably not. Most people couldn't care less or they couldn't tell the difference, but for the fact that a buyer may say "your aluminum wheels look like they need a good polishin'. But hey, I want magnesium wheels!