View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default another read on it...

This is a reply I did on the same topic over on the "Unique Cobra" site:

Rod,
That is how Brian and I measured the toe in when we did our car. I can't remember the source, but probably did a search on the site. We put straight edges against the center of the tire and parallel to the floor. We then measured the outside edges of the straight edge in the front and rear of the tire. The difference should be 1/16" total (smaller number in front-very important). If I remember correctly, we had a .005" shim under the front screw and a .012" shim under the rear screw that holds the bracket that mounts the lower hub carrier arm to the rear end. If you do the math, the .007" difference in shim thickness between the 2 screws that are approximately 7-8" apart would carry out to .030" on a 32" tire, or about 1/32" per side (1/16" overall). Be careful not to have the straight edge on an raised lettering you may have on the tire. You will have the same advantage that Brian and I had in that the body is not on the chassis. It will be much easier this way. Be sure to get the rear end lined up and locked down exactly parallel to the centerline of the chassis before setting the toe. I remember how great a freshly powder coated chassis looks. I'm sure Rick will remind you that this is the perfect time to put that first coat of wax on the chassis. If you need more info I can measure anything you may need on the car this weekend. Its over in Brians garage up on stands getting ready for a track day next week at Hallet Raceway in Tulsa.

Bill