View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Folks,

If you're thinking about doing this track event but are on the fence because a)You've never been on a racetrack; b)You don't want to scratch your pride and joy; c)You don't know how a track day works; or d)All of the above...

...I can't urge you strongly enough to sign up and give it a shot. Not only have John, Jay, and other TCC members worked hard to make this an enjoyable event, it's for a GREAT cause. You won't find a more laid-back group of people with which to do a track event. I've run my replica at a whole bunch of track days where mine was the only kit at the track, and it can get interesting explaining to a tech inspector who's used to looking at stock Porsches and Corvettes why your car has Chevy brake rotors, the master cylinder from an MG, and a Jaguar rear end with custom half-shafts. You won't find that here; Jay is a kit car fanatic who understands all of that and just wants to make sure what you've got is safe for the track. Beyond that, the pace is very relaxed and there are run groups to accommodate all skill and experience levels, from someone who's never run their snake in anything more involved than a stoplight grand prix to seasoned competitors. No matter how inexperienced you may be, these cars are patterned after vehicles that were designed, engineered, and built for one reason: to compete against the world's best and kick everyone's ass. Don't you want to see what they're like in the environment they were designed for? Don't you want to be able to say you've tracked your car? Having a Cobra and only every driving it on the street is like owning a Gulfstream jet and then running it up and down the taxiways at the airport.

If you're thinking about doing this but haven't registered, spring for the $150 and come have fun. Harrus Hill is a wonderful little track, it's literally about 15 minutes from anywhere in San Marcos, and you'll probably learn more about your car in 10 laps than you will in several years of street driving. They say that racing improves the breed; my Lister is immensely faster, easier to drive, and more reliable due to the time I've spent on the track. Where else can you run your car at full throttle for an entire day and not have to worry one bit about the police?

Come on, now, just do it!