View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
I also agree 100% with Baz. That is what I did about 3 months ago and I've been able to drive a fully engineered, registered and roadworthy car around from the start. Gives me time to get some of the gremlins out of the chassis/brakes/suspension etc while we build up the stroker for it. Sure it looks like a bucket of nuts with a very ordinary paint job and interior but I will have every opportunity to strip it and put some things right with the benifit of having driven it in reality.

Now when you condsider that this costed less than 40K with a roadworthy.... I would think it very difficult to get an ICV on the road for anywhere near that, pretty paint or not.

Best of luck with your choice.
My total build budget is around $35k + engineering . I am on track to achieve that with an LS3 and T56. I havnt skimped on any parts (well accept my windscreen frame), but i have had the benifit of being able to do everything myself.

If you can find a registered cobra under $40k, it would be worth it. Not sure of current prices, but a rolling kit is probably around $20 odd k. My engineer has told me to budget up to $10k for compliance testing and inspections.

The good thing about building is that you can space the cost out over a few years and it is much more affordable.

The plaque on Baz's dash is an RTA requirement. They now require it on seat belts as well.