View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Almost all the cranks on the market now will either use the sbc or bbc rod journal size and various lengths---I checked over 20 sets this morning of the rods for current builds in the shop here---some scat and the others Callies Compstar or Ultra (sorry didn't check any of the Lunaties) and various lengths---The Ford 302 style was lightest at mid 500 wts , small chev journal for small blocks most around 620 ( 6.0 length) and the BBC journal of various lengths would average around low 800 grams(814-835)

The cranks will weigh from high 50s(56-58 to low 70s (4.750 stroke))

biggest weight differances are in the piston/pin area because a short ch with real short/thin wall pin will vary drasticlly between the 4.0 and the 4.780 bores sizes.

the Honda rod sizes are lighter but we aren't seeing many of them for any street type engines and I didn't currently have any to weigh.

And the weight of the flywheel/clutch and harmonic dampner will be more significant that a few grams of piston weight. I have recently began to weight the cranks with the bob weights on them for some data but mostly to see how hard I'm working.