View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     
Default Fuel Filler

As I mentioned in my previous posting, I took the task of making my fuel filler arrangement more robust and “finished” looking. When I first installed the Lemans top, I was under a two week time constraint before leaving for the Tail of the Dragon trip, so the bent-pipe solution I originally came up with was intended to be temporary. I took inspiration from photos I’ve seen from cars running the Master’s series in Europe while utilizing the existing fuel riser and threaded roller cap base from the ERA fuel tank. Going this route would allow me to easily return to the stock configuration when running the car without the hardtop. Here’s an example of some of that inspiration:

So here’s what the bits and pieces look like. On the left is the ERA fuel tank riser that includes a small neck that a standard fuel cap connects to. In the upper right is the newly fabricated piece that consists of the threaded Lemans cap base purchased from the Kirkham sale, an aluminum plate, and a 2.25” OD aluminum tube. Also shown is a piece of black fuel filler hose from a ’68 mustang that happens to be 2.25” ID, and a rubber seal that is sandwiched between the bottom of the pipe and the top of the small neck in the fuel tank riser:

This next photo shows the top of the ERA tank and the ERA fuel tank riser prior to installation:

This next photo shows the ERA fuel tank riser installed with the 2.25” ID rubber hose and seal in place. The bottom of the fabricated piece that threads onto the fuel tank riser can be seen here as well:

Here is a picture of the final installation ready for the fuel hose:

- Allen.