Old 03-14-2011, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Allen,

Very nice work with the aluminum fittings. Did you do the fabrication and welding?

Is the rubber hose over the aluminum pipe just a slip fit? Don't see how a clamp could fit once the filler extension is fitted to the car. I would imagine that the fuel tank would not be filled up so much as to have fuel in the filler neck all the way to the roof of the car, correct?

Hi, Tim. Thanks for the compliments. I don't have the equipment to weld aluminum...Larry Casey of Casey Design lives a reasonable distance from me, so I supply him with the materials and cardboard mock-ups of my "vision" and he does the rest.

Yes. Inside the riser, the aluminum pipe is a slip fit into the rubber hose. The rubber gasket that is sandwiched between the bottom of the pipe and the small filler tube inside the riser acts as the seal. The aluminum pipe length is sized such that the seal and rubber o-ring under the threaded lemans cap compress at the same rate, providing a full seal on the fuel fill cap assembly. So once the fuel hose is fitted to connect the filler assembly to the roof cap, there should be no vapor entering the cabin area. It's definitely not roll-over proof, however. For filling the tank, I keep the key in the accessory position and watch the fuel gauge move toward "F" while fueling. The fueling process needs to happen at a slower rate as I don't have a vapor return line. Air escaping the tank needs to come up the fuel filler pipe as the fuel is traveling down, so due care is key.

I picked up my split trunklid and freshly powdercoated wheels over the weekend, and the MT tires are arriving FedEx today, so there will be a flood of updates happening this week...

Stay tuned!

- Allen.