View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
8. I understand the meeting to which you referred was held at Scotties factory which went all pear shaped. I was OS at that time. Why and how it was allowed to go pearshape is unknown to me.
I was at the 2nd QLD meeting as it was open to all interested people, not just manufacturers. At that stage I was just a club enthusiast with no agenda. My memory is a bit hazy of the exact details, but in my opinion with other groups present like clubbies etc, there were just too wide ranging issues, the clubmans have different issues to Cobras etc etc and there just wasn't enough common ground. The support and interest just wasn't there either considering the interest groups invited. There was only a handful of people there.

I gave my input and support and I know Don Pilling invested a lot of time and effort into it. So did a lot of others. It's all history now. And I thought this was long before Warren was President(no offence Warren).

As for the suggestion of piggybacking off the Street Rod regulations that John suggested in Snaketales all those years ago, I just can't see that as an approach that would work. ASRF woud fight us and I personally would not want their regulations as the design, construction and safety standards would be significantly poorer than we have now.

But the ASRF approach in being self regulating is a great idea. Set up a National organisation. Get financial members. Everyone that wants to register vehicles under the scheme must pay to support the scheme. This gives us a fighting fund and we would need to employ legal representation, take out insurance etc, so we would need funds. We would also need to make sure that all the state transport departments will accept the regulations without modification. And anyone that modifies a vehicle that no longer complies with the scheme gets treated with accordingly. This is just one approach that can work.